Selenium IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is the simplest tool in the Selenium Suite. It is a Firefox add-on that creates tests very quickly through its record-and-playback functionality. This feature is similar to that of QTP. It is effortless to install and easy to learn.
Selenium IDE supports autocomplete mode when creating tests. This feature serves two purposes:
- It helps the tester to enter commands more quickly.
- It restricts the user from entering invalid commands.
- Download selenium IDE from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/selenium-ide/
- It comes as an add on to firefox
- Once the installation is done restart the browser
- Navigate to tools in the firefox browser and select Selenium IDE
- This will launch selenium IDE
- Enter the URL that you want to test in base URL tab
- Start recording
- Navigate to firefox and perform test cases and all navigations
- After performing all the test testcases, navigate back to the selenium IDE and stop recording
- Observe that all the actions performed on the test site are recorded as a test case in selenium
- The recording consists of 3 main components
- Command – Ex: Click, wait etc
- Target – Xpath or css of the field
- Value – Inputvalue for the field
- Save the recorded test script and play when ever necessary.